I’m Simon Atkins a photojournalist and award winning wedding photographer. I was one of the first to develop the wedding photojournalism style in the UK back in the 1990’s.
I have been involved in professional photography for my entire working life since starting my career in the black and white darkrooms of a daily newspaper as a young 18 year old fresh out of school. I was lucky as the newspaper paid for me to train at journalism college which went on to a career as a newspaper photojournalist photographing a wide variety of assignments before I switched full time to weddings 16 years ago. I actually photographed my first wedding as an assistant in 1988, the experience put me off weddings until many years later as we worked to a formal list with the same photographs at every wedding. I’ve now photographed well over 1000 weddings all over the UK as well as in Venice, Ireland, Menorca and France. The weddings I have photographed have ranged from 500 guests to just the bride and groom with me standing in as their witness, I’ve photographed celebrity weddings for comedians, actors and TV presenters. The Independent on Sunday wrote a double page article about my work, my wedding photography has also featured in photography magazines, wedding magazines and on wedding blogs.
Photography is now part of who I am and is my passion, this isn’t just a business to me, it is my life. As well as photographing weddings I photograph street photography and aerial photography for myself.
Let’s meet up for a chat about your wedding plans over a latte and cake, or on Skype if you live further away, I’d love to hear your story.
Some random facts about me
1) I have a pet duck.
2) I've recently taken up ice skating after a 25 year break, my mispent youth was at the ice rink.
3) I've got a beautiful Golden Retriever called Misty.
4) I appeared on a BBC TV program about buying a house.
5) I once got told off by Meatloaf.
6) David Walliams borrowed my umbrella - I did get it back.
7) When I was four years old I wanted to be a train driver.
8) That's me in the photograph aged about 7 with a junk model camera, I took an early interest in photography and set up a home dark room under the stairs.